Monday, June 30, 2014

Sundays are for cooking (Meal prep)

I always, always cook on Sunday for the week ahead. I have realized that if I do not prepare then I will fail. It does take a couple of hours but I take small breaks to watch TV (or drink some wine) so I don't feel like I am slaving away all day.

I also usually go to the store Friday or Saturday night to get all my food so that it does't feel like such a huge task that takes up my entire day. Also - the grocery store on a Saturday night? GOLD. No one is there. They must be out, living life or something. I don't know I'm old and boring now and the most exciting thing is having the entire produce department to myself, without hoards of people waiting in front of and behind me to pick out my perfect lemons (or whatever). Moving on... 

{Chicken meatballs with green beans and individual portions of HB eggs, almonds, blueberries and watermelon. Not pictured is my green smoothie and afternoon snack plate}


I plan my next weeks meals before I shop (obviously) and always eat the same thing. I find it to be cheaper and easier to repeat meals for one week. I can deal with repetition. Throw about 2 cups of coffee somewhere into that list for good measure. 

THIS WEEK LIZ EATS: About 1,400 calories/day

Breakfast
  • Protein shake
  • Green juice
Snack
  • 2 HB eggs
  • 1 cup blueberries
Lunch
  • 2 chicken meatballs 
  • 1 cup green beans
  • 1 cup watermelon 
Snack 2
  • 1/4 C hummus 
  • 1 C snap peas 
  • 1/2 C cherries
  • 12 almonds
Dinner
  • Baked tilapia, 4 oz. 
  • 1 C broccoli
  • 1 sweet potato

I usually spend about $90-$120/week on groceries. That is every meal for me for the week with dinners for myself and my husband. I have no idea if that is cheap... but its A LOT cheaper than eating out all the time. When my husband and I first moved in together we were frequenting fast-food joints more than once a day... at an average of $5/meal and 2 meals/day thats $140/week on NASTY, artery-clogging, fiber-less, nutrient-less "food" and doesn't even include breakfast or snacks! WHAT. 

Not that I never get down on a cheeseburger or some greasy tacos but it has to become the exception not the rule if you want a healthy body and life.

HAPPY MEAL PREPPING TO YOU!



No comments:

Post a Comment