Monday, August 26, 2013

Easy Thai Coconut Curry Chicken

This weekend was an easy one. A couple of exciting plans (like our Fantasy Football draft, wedding dress shopping with my best friend(!) and a birthday bowling party) but mostly we had time to be a little lazy this weekend. By the time Sunday morning came around I might have been a little hungover but mostly prepared for my Sunday Prepday. I can't stay lazy all weekend I get a little cabin fever and start itching to do/make something. A day of cooking was exactly what I needed!

The hubs and I were getting a little bored of our meat/veggie standard combo for dinners so we went to Pinterest for a little inspiration (by we, I mean I perused my iPad while asking him what sounded good) and found an easy recipe for thai chicken. I made my list, went grocery shopping and got to work.

As part of my Sunday Prepday I also cooked up brown rice, homemade salsa and ground turkey for tacos throughout the week (hubs fav) as well as no-bake reese's fudge (recipe up this week!).





Easy Thai Coconut Curry Chicken

1 Rotisserie chicken
14 oz. Coconut milk
2-6 TBSP Curry Paste (I used red, but really choose your fav)
1 C Basil leaves
2 TBSP Sugar

OPTIONAL:
1 can water chestnuts
8 oz. chopped mushrooms
16 oz. chopped broccoli
1 TSBP Fish sauce
1 TSP red pepper flakes

1. Discard skin (or eat the burnt pieces like me) and shred all white meat from chicken and set aside. 
2. On medium-high heat add 4 tablespoons of coconut milk and curry paste to large skillet and dissolve then add rest of coconut milk and sugar, bring to simmer. 
3. Add chicken, basil and any additional options at this point, bring to simmer for 15 minutes to heat through and combine flavors. 
4. Serve over 1/2 C brown rice with wedge of lime <<for hubs
OR
4. Serve over 1/4 C Quinoa with additional broccoli and mushrooms with a wedge of lime << for me

I really liked how this came out! I 'm glad I added the veggies to make it healthier and more filling. Next time I would not add the sugar as hubs doesn't like sweet meats but besides that I'd say this was an easy dinner that will be making its way into the dinner rotation. 



Who else got a good dose of 1998 with that NSYNC reunion?! My inner 13 year old squealed with excitement when they took the stage - and a little piece of me is forever thankful to MTV. 





2 comments:

  1. I made this tonite. It was pretty good. I think next time I'll make extra sauce. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked it! I agree that more sauce would be even better. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete