Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Challenge: Mexican Quinoa

I love winning. Winning games, winning prizes and winning people over. So when my friend Christi was skeptical of my favorite greek quinoa salad I was determined to whip up a version that would win her over. And be healthy. I also love a challenge!

I basically took the idea of the greek salad and thought of all my favorite spanish foods to sub in: black beans, corn, jalapeño, onion, cilantro, lime juice and cumin. I went Mexican for two reasons: {let's be real} she's hispanic annnnd everyone loves Mexican flavors. At least everyone in Texas does! And if you don't something is wrong with you. Seriously.




Mexican Quinoa Salad {5 servings}

1 C quinoa, dry
16 oz. cherry tomato, halved
15 oz. black beans, rinsed
1 red onion, diced
1 bunch fresh cilantro, shredded
3 ear corn, kernels cut off the cob
1 jalapeño, de-seeded/de-veined
1 clove garlic, minced
3-5 limes, juiced
1 TBSP olive oil (or walnut, grape, etc.)
1 TSP Cumin

Mason Jar Salad
5 oz. Queso Fresco (any Mexican crumbling cheese)
Spring mix (or your fav lettuce variety)
Salt & Pepper, to taste

*350 CALS PER JAR WITH QUESO FRESCO! 
If you aren't watching calories, avocado would be great in this!

1. Prepare quinoa per directions. Once ready, set aside to cool for 5 minutes at least then add to large bowl.
2. Cut corn off of the cob (I do this inside of a large bowl to minimize fly kernels all over my kitchen). I then spread them on a cookie sheet with 1 TBSP walnut oil and roasted them at 400 for 25 minutes - this is an optional step. but if you have the time - DO IT!
3. Prep fresh jalapeño by slicing in half and removing the seeds and veins with a knife. I then diced the jalapeño and cooked in a skillet to reduce the heat of the pepper. Add to large bowl.
4. Prep the rest of the veggies and add to large bowl with the rest of the mexican quinoa ingredients and mix well.
5. I then added the mixture evenly to five mason jars.
6. Top each jar with 1 oz. of Queso Fresco.
7. Stuff lettuce on top until you can't stuff any more - then top the lid and store in fridge!


I ended up really liking this but would add pico de gallo next time to add more "dressing" in my salad and juiciness to the quinoa and even add a more "fresh" flavor. Also chopped bell peppers would be great!

Let me know if you try this - and like it. Maybe I can win you over, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment