Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Rotisserie Chicken Tortilla Soup {Easy/GF!}

I always make this off the top of my head, going off what I know about mexican food, what I have had in my tortilla soups before and what I have already in my pantry. This time, I had a little time to prep, so I looked up a recipe to see how my version stacked against it. Nearly the same!



Rotisserie Chicken Tortilla Soup, serves 6
  • Meat from 1 rotisserie chicken
  • 14.5 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
  • 14.5 oz can black beans, rinsed
  • 8 c low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 packet of Mrs. Dash Taco Seasoning (salt-free!)
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 garlic cloves, diced
  • 1 c cilantro, chopped (or 1-2 bushels)
  • 1-2 jalapeño, diced (optional)
  • 2 limes, juiced
TOPPINGS:
  • Tortilla chips/baked corn tortilla strips
  • Shredded Monterrey Jack cheese to top
  • Avocado, sliced
  • Lime wedge
Stats: (No toppings) 224 cal | 2g fat | 25g carb | 6g fiber | 5g sugar | 28g protein



1. Heat 1-2 tablespoons of EVOO in soup/stock/dutch oven, add onion and cook until translucent. Then add garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, if using jalapeño add it now.
2. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, taco seasoning and bring to boil. Next add chicken and beans and simmer for 30 minutes.
3. Add cilantro last (with maybe 5 minutes left to simmer), making sure to incorporate it into the soup.
4. Ladle soup into bowls and top with avocado slices, tortilla strips, cheese and lime wedge (or whatever you want!)

TIPS:
1. Use gloves when handling/dicing jalapeños! I put my non-cutting hand into a quart-sized ziplock bag to protect it.
2. Use a fork to shred or kitchen shears to cut your chicken meat.
3. Use kitchen shears to cut your cilantro, much easier than chopping!
4. Check the sodium on your "Low-Sodium" Chicken broth! I picked up one with over 550g of sodium per cup then found one with 60g of sodium per cup! Read food labels!
5. You could also add whatever you like to this - corn, sliced carrots, sliced poblanos, different spices. Work with what you have and what your family likes!
6. I like to portion these into tupperware containers for easy meals later! Heat and then add whatever toppings you like!



1 comment: